Click here to register online for First Event 2013 with a credit card or PayPal. Or visit our Registration page for details and pricing, plus the option to register by mail. Remember to register as soon as possible for the best discounts and to guarantee your spot! Early Bird discounts end October 31. Also, don’t forget to Book Hotel Rooms early, since the Marriott was nearly full last year.
The word is out!
Yes, First Event 2012 was fabulous on all counts!
We are happy to let you know that the new First Event 2013 team is working hard to ensure that FE13 will continue to meet your high expectations.
Requesting Your Feedback: We have received some feedback after FE12 and would love to hear some more from you. If you have thoughts on what you might like to see or how we can improve FE13, please just fill in the form at the bottom of this page with you comments and suggestions! The Submit button below automatically emails your comments to our First Event Chairpersons.
One of our major goals for 2013 is SIMPLICITY! Both for you the attendees and for the team who will be working hard to ensure you have the best time. So far, we have simplified the following:
- For both hard copy and on line registration, we have simplified the choices and created highly discounted conference packages that we hope you will take advantage of.
- We hope that all of you will register via the on line registration system, which will simplify our data bases that will mean your badge collection when you arrive will be much faster.
- This year you can register your spouse/significant other with the on line system at he same time as your registration.
- Early bird discounts (20%) will end on 10/31/12 and pre-registration discount will end on 12/31/12. This year, regular conference pricing is in effect from 1/1/13. The on line system will calculate these discounts automatically based on the day you register.
- If you come to the conference the on site registration forms will be simpler and quicker to fill out to reduce delays on getting your badge.
- Day of Beauty and Wellness
- For those of you who came Thursday and took part in this, there were rave reviews. This year we will be expanding this to the full day on Thursday. Please work out your schedules to join us on Thursday and take part of this fantastic new event!
- And stay for the fabulous show on Thursday evening. Once again our very own John Warrener will be putting on his updated and fabulous Cabaret style show - Together Again for the First time -Take 2.
- Workshop schedules
- This year we created structured workshop sessions, that will eliminate the overlapping workshop schedules from years past. All workshops will start and end at the same time.
- There will be six sessions in each conference room each day Friday and Saturday. For each day there will be two sessions that are for 60 minute workshops and four sessions with up to 90 minute workshops.
- This year we will also have workshop evaluations available at the completion of each session and we encourage you to please fill these out to let us and the presenter know how they have done and how valuable the content and presentation were.
- Registration table
- We will be working on a plan to provide better direction to find the registration/badge pickup table. There are a few conflicting requirements around this that we will be working through prior to the conference.
- We will improve signage and directions too.
- Tiffany’s Closet
- Improved signage and directions. We had feedback that people did not know where it was. This is especially true on Saturday when it moves from Salon A to the Patriot room on the second floor right up the stairs behind the hotel’s front desk.
- Clothes for the guys too!
- More fashion consultation help for you to help get that perfect outfit.
…And the team is still working hard on making First Event 2013 an experience to remember. We can’t wait to see you there!
Please give us your feedback: Comments and suggestions are welcome!
The Name and E-Mail fields are optional.
Our theme for First Event 2013 is We’ve Only Just Begun.
At FE12 we were honored to have Representative Carl Sciortino as our keynote speaker and he talked about the work he did in sponsoring and helping pass the Massachusetts Transgender Rights Bill. This was so exciting especially in that when we booked him it was not clear to any of as to what the outcome would be.
In fact, even though the Bill has passed, we know that there were political tradeoffs that were made and there is still much work to do for each and every one of us and our friends.
Just as our logo for FE13 shows, we are just beginning to crack out of the egg and will have to learn how to grow and become part of our own and the greater community.
I realize that our theme can mean something different to each of you. Somewhere in my family tree I am pretty sure there were a few Talmudic scholars, so let me see if I can explain what these apparently simple four words mean.
We’ve: When we say “We” it means not only all of us together but it also includes each of us as individuals. It is referring to not only the entire transgender community – which covers so many different groups, and organizations but also each person who identifies anywhere under the gender spectrum and has struggled in the binary gender system.
Only: When we say “only”, this is not limited in any manner. There is work to do for the greater community in fighting for rights and acceptance, while each individual has the work to find out what and who they authentically are, and the challenges to keep balance in their very own lives in living authentically. This is often not limited to only a single choice or decision but has many complex issues. It is used here to recognize that there is a start needed for each of us.
Just: When we say “just”, it is a message to deal with what is right there in front of us. We can learn to avoid and deny what our truth and authenticity may be. Certainly there again is the issue of balance, but it is a fact that we do not choose to be transgender. We can only choose what we do about it. Once again, this term is not limited in time or the number of events it refers to. It does mean that we are no longer hiding, but are ready to move forward.
Begun: When we say “begun”, this is not limited to an event that occurred in the past. It represents each moment in time. Every moment represents a new beginning for each of us. Whether something good or something bad has transpired, the next instant in time is an opportunity for a new beginning.
We’ve Only Just Begun. Our journeys, as a community and as individuals are always starting in each and every moment. Come to First Event 2013 and discover where you journey will take you moment to moment. You will learn about the community and hopefully you will learn more about yourself. When you take this journey, you will make a difference in the world. In fact you must!
Grace Anne Stevens
Co-Chair, First Event 2013
Tiffany’s Closet will be expanding for First Event 2013. In addition to all the amazing buys that will be available, our very own Andrea has committed here own fashion consultant skills to help you find that perfect outfit for any and all occasions. Andrea will be more available than in 2012 just to help you with your purchases.
In addition, we are planning to have a section for the guys too. This will be a first for Tiffany’s Closet. Perhaps we will need to create a name for this. Your ideas are welcome, let us know what you think.
For all of you who would like to donate clothes, feel free to drop them off at the TCNE clubhouse during any Tuesday open house from 7-10 PM.
Tell your own First Event experience! We are looking for brief stories and impressions from past First Event attendees. We will compile and blog contributions on a new First Event Experiences page on www.FirstEvent.us to help newcomers get a feel for what the conference is really like.
Firstevent.us is under construction! Please bear with us as we get set up for FE 2013! We’ll be posting updates here as we move forward!